graduates in 2017.
What were the highlights of YA Zimbabwe in 2017?
Highlights YA Chitungwiza
1. Young Africa received 9 volunteer from Netherlands (See picture below) who renovated the hostel with their own funds. The young people demonstrated self-reliance through mobilization of resources and commitment to do work on a voluntary basis without expecting remuneration. They were a great inspiration to the hostel girls by carrying out tasks that are believed to be for boys only by painting the hostel and administration block reception area.
2. Our staff comprising of programs, finance, security, ground maintenance, trainers and franchisees received training on child protection and safeguarding from SERVE. This training built the capacity of our staff to be aware of risks and make ethical decisions when they encounter children. The training improved their knowledge of fundamental concepts relevant to child safety and the organization started a process of building the needed systems and policies and procedures to respond to concerns as essential, both for major cases of abuse and less serious protection concerns like breaches of expected behaviors.
3. YA received a grant of USD45, 914.00 from Australian Embassy to support the drilling of a borehole to ease the water challenges, purchase of 120 school chairs and 60 desks, purchase of 5 computers for the library as well as installing internet connection. The grant also provided scholarships to 120 young women to undergo training in traditionally male dominated trades. The young women will be trained carpentry, welding, solar technology and plumbing.
1. The first Zimbabwe Schools examinations Council (ZIMSEC) were written at our Epworth center in November since it was granted examination center status. A total of 231 (109 private candidates) candidate sat for examinations in 10 different subjects. Being registered and recognised as an examination center enabled the center to generate extra income to purchase books, furniture etc.
2. Received USD5,000.00 from SERVE to renovate dressmaking and hairdressing workshops. The renovation works included, plastering of walls, electrical installations to dressmaking workshop and painting of the inside of the two workshops.